Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Smacked in the face by the end of the semester like a two-by-four

I felt a momentary relief to have that presentation behind me, but now face Friday's deadline for revising this paper on The Messenger.  I've done major revisions and more research to supplement my claims.  My wonderful professor is being quite helpful in making recommendations for other work to look at, but the quickly approaching Friday deadline is making me feel anxious.

All of the quickly approaching deadlines are making me feel as though the end of the semester is smacking me in the face with a two-by-four.  (Though that may be exacerbated by my forehead still hurting a bit from where I smacked it on the overhead compartment Sunday.)  We've got one more reading next week for my southern class, and then conference papers start the following week, with seminar versions of those paper due the end of the semester.  I've got to put something together for my independent study.  And I've got to write and then grade my classes' finals; I give finals Tuesday and Thursday of finals week, and then have to be in Ohio for my dad's wedding that Saturday.  Grades are due the next Wednesday.  I don't relish the thought of dragging two classes worth of blue books with me on the plane.

I got a flat out rejection back from the Mississippi Quarterly on my Welty paper which my adviser said would be "easy to publish."  That's not helping my feelings of usefulness at the moment.  At least my readings for teaching and for class right now are enjoyable reads--we start Alison Bechdel's Fun Home Thursday in WGS, and next week we're reading a post-apocalyptic South book called Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse, which you've gotta love just for the name.  It takes place in East Tennessee, which makes it an enjoyable (albeit weirdly nostalgic, as I keep missing Tennessee a lot lately) read.

I don't like feeling incompetent and behind.  I will now have some lunch and read read read, something I can do, which I hope will make me feel a little more capable.

No comments:

Post a Comment